Friday, December 4, 2009

So I have this deadline tomorrow.


And I suppose I should be running around in a panicked sort of way, but I'm not. I'm not sure if this is progress or self-delusion and denial, but I've considered and rejected several plans as far as this deadline goes, and then they all were swept aside by a new plan tonight, and so now I'm thinking, well I don't have to mail this until tomorrow by the time the post office closes. If I get up in the morning, put on my fancy new overalls, knock some of the dirt off my sensible shoes and wear those sort of fishscale blue-green dangly earrings, and go to town, I can busy some good-sized sheets of fat luscious white paper and some sharpies and draw the whole thing, fold it up in intricate and eccentric ways, and put it in a box, bind that box with wire and tighten the wire with little bamboo pegs and be satisfied. And satisfy the commitment. So there's no sense running around trying to do a million things and worrying none will be good enough.



In any case, it's almost midnight and I've still got things to clean up because some of my works of art are in the way of tomorrow's breakfast. I'm hoping it's pancakes and sausages. I just wish we hadn't eaten all the strawberries. If it's me cooking we'll probably just have oatmeal, or scrambled eggs. But my husband likes to fuss over breakfasts, and we all enjoy that.

I tend to fret too much about things, and that makes me cranky. I'm making progress, but it's slow going, I must say. And then add the whole artistic temperament and a family history of eccentricities and so on and honestly. I think I'm doing quite well, all things considered.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

I don't know - if I had to choose between progress and self-delusion/denial, I'd go for progress every time ;)

The photos are amazing - did you take one of your deadline project?

shara said...

Progress it is, then, and thank you. I haven't taken pictures of the project yet (my first deadline passed, so now I've set one for Monday, wish me luck) but then again I still don't know what I'm sending. Things I have are meant to go together and become something else, I know it, and then once the particular elements come together I can package them up and do that whole part of what I've got planned, as much as you can plan that sort of vague thing. So it's bits and pieces at this point, and a hell of a mess all over, and it keeps getting shuffled off to the side so we can do things like eat and make coffee and so on.