Sunday, December 6, 2009

I really have trouble shutting out distractions.


Not all the time, mind you. Sometimes I can be so focused on something that I can't quite bring myself to believe life itself doesn't stop for the moments that the paint stops being paint and just becomes color, and then beyond color, just thick slickness and the brush not making strokes but only pushing or pulling the color, and making waves in the wet yellow or red or whatever it is. Red and black lately, and then both, to make a deep, satisfying brown. And then I get lost doing that, and forget everything else, and then the world comes back and the connection to something other than everyday life gets thinner and is finally pulled apart altogether. Or not, I suppose, the connection goes on in the background. But love and laundry and sandwiches intrude sometimes, and yes, intrude sounds so harsh, and I don't mean it be harsh. It's just that sometimes I wish I could only please myself. But I come back to my senses after a while. It's the same connection, just expressed another way, and whether it's paint or lunch, if it's done with care and dedication I suppose it's all pretty much the same thing.

3 comments:

Pauline said...

Sounds like a good definition of 'flow" as described by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi!

shara said...

Pauline, thank you so much for the comment; I read some about Mr. Csikszentmihalyi (we have similarly complicated last names, but his beats mine, definitely) and his ideas and it was quite fascinating.

Peter Bryenton said...

"The dishes will always be there"

http://digital-photography-school.com/shoot-to-live-what-do-your-photos-teach-you