Thursday, November 19, 2009

At last. A day celebrating my most favorite clothing.




Because when I wear them (as opposed to my other favorite clothing item, a long skirt) I can carry everything I need in my pockets (purses are not my thing, really) and I can muck out the creek, paint a picture, sweep the floor, sit on the grass. I love standing out in the fresh air, hands in pockets, listening to the birds. I walk differently in my overalls. I don't feel only feminine, or masculine, but both, or neither. I feel like a whole, comfortable self. I feel capable, and strong.

I wear them to the hardware store, the grocery store, and have danced the night away in them at our favorite little blues bar. My husband calls me "Farmer Girl".

No, they're not a high-fashion item. No, they're not particularly kind to a figure with more than a little extra around the middle (except they do give that middle room!) but I've had smiles and compliments from both women and men, and more importantly, I like the way I feel when I wear them.

If I need to fancy them up, I put on a gauzy hippie shirt and some earrings, and I'm ready to go. I've had people (younger women, or stylish younger men) look askance at them, but it doesn't bother me at all. I wear them with white or black tank tops summer and winter (I like to have my arms bare, because I'm vain about them, and I get overheated with sleeves now, actually) and usually have a few pens in one bib pocket, and my ever-present camera in the other, with the camera strap around my neck for jewelry.

And every time I see someone else wearing them I feel a sort of kinship. So I smile, and say, "Nice overalls!" and invariably get a happy, relaxed smile in return.

Happy Overalls Day! Be sure to stop over here to meet someone who loves them even more than I do.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

me too!

MB said...

and me! overalls are one of the two most perfect pieces of outerwear ever created (the other being the hoodie) and i pretty much think if you can't do it wearing overalls then it's probably not worth doing. so, on to the celebration, i think i have a kazoo in one of these pockets...

Peter Bryenton said...

A fitting topic: I'm reading "The Grapes of Wrath" and seeing such apparel in my mind's eye.

niels said...

Hi, fantastic post, and your point about the quality of overalls dissolving the distinction between male and female is one I really enjoy as I always have had troubles with all this male/female rules ! and MB is very right on that if you cannot do it in overalls you don't need to bother ! all the best to all of you

Pauline said...

I love my overalls! When you come to visit with your paintbrushes and we have tea and talk we'll both be wearing overalls and smiling!

LuRain Penny said...

Greetings, sweet thing -

We had a quiet Thanksgiving. It was a sad affair - the first without our beloved boon companion in 15 years.
So we didn't celebrate much that is, spending the day thankful for what was.
You can have the drumsticks! My teeth is only good for slurping soup. Ha!
Always glad when you stop by.
Love,
LuRain
x

shara said...

I just can't seem to find the time to sit down at the computer much these days. Well. I suppose it's not so much a lack of time as it is inclination. But I wanted to say thank you for the comments, and I'll have to come around to see what all everyone's been up to. I seem to be flailing around some lately, going in a few different directions but not really accomplishing much, but then again, there's that whole discussion about the validity of accomplishment in the long term, and I just don't have energy to get into a long diatribe on that, so I'll spare you. (And me!)

Joyful Pixie said...

I'm so happy to find another overalls enthusiast! Overalls are my trademark, and yes, one does feel a certain kinship when seeing another in a pair of overalls! :o)

shara said...

Hi Joybear, thank you for the friendly comment. I'm the proud owner of four pairs of overalls now; one I just got the other day and haven't worn yet, haven't even washed for the first time. My new "best" pair, for going to town and so on. One pair is ripping apart, the denim gone soft and fragile as cheesecloth. I wish I was someone who sewed, because I have ideas to make purses and aprons and so on, from discarded overalls.

Niels said...

Hi Shara

Thanks for your comments on my blog, What do you think will be the best, book or calendar !? I'm most motivated for an old fashioned book ? There are several who wants to contribute !

shara said...

Hi Niels, I think a nice old-fashioned book is a wonderful idea.

Daudi e Cinza said...

Shara: Your page could up a faceboo like icon.

Go to http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like

to get one. I came here hoping you had one so I could like it.

that be where you'd acquire one.

Best,

David

Daudi e Cinza said...

Hey Shara:

If you want to get a facebook like icon for your page this is the url

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like

I came by to check your page out and see what you have been up too.

make sure to check the width of the button. I had to shorten mine from 450 to 200 tomake it fit reasonably.

Best,

David