Monday, October 19, 2009

So much for posting more often.


But between soccer games and building altars in the shed, painting murals on the walls in the house and in a shed across town, thinking deep thoughts and listening to the birds, the days just go by, the way days will.

Yesterday my mother would have been 72 years old. She was the god of my childhood, and her moods were the weather, her face the sky. I regret she didn't live long enough to see me happy. I wish I'd seen her happy more often, and knew her better as a person and not just "mother", but wishing doesn't accomplish much, and so long after the fact it's even more of a misdirection of energy.

Does she look down on me from some great height, does she fly past me in the shape of a dragonfly, did I gather her into me in the hospital room when she died and "Don't Fence Me In" played in the background, just before six o'clock, with the oxygen gurgling and me trying to understand how my grandmother's face had eclipsed my mother's, like a mask had been slipped on. Will my mother's face be mine when I die? I know one thing. My children will know me better, and worse, and much more fully.

I wish you didn't have to die, said my eight year old daughter. I know, I said. I wish no one had to die, said my nine year old daughter. I know, I said. But think of it this way. Imagine the confusion and crowding if no one ever died. Imagine all the new ideas that would never come to be. Oh well, says one of them in reply, it's all just part of the cycle of life. And I promised not to die for many, many years. And I told them stories about how it would be when I was old and calling them to do things for me, and how they'd come home from college and tell me things, and they got up on a stool and we played at them being grownups and me being white-haired and sweet-tempered, or not.

I bet you miss your Mom, they said.

I do, I said.

7 comments:

Pauline said...

well now, that was a wonderful post. one never stops missing Mom. my own Mama died in 1983 and I still wish I could see her and talk to her.

shara said...

Thank you, Pauline. It was very satisfying to write. I forget, sometimes, how much writing helps me sort things out. I've been doing more talking lately, and painting, and getting things ready for the Day of the Dead event I'm taking part in, and now there are two and possibly three more things to be working on over the next six months or so. I'll have to make more time to write.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hello all. This is my first post.

I expect to learn alot here.

Anonymous said...

Where is admin?!
Hope for answer

Anonymous said...

Hi there :-)
Cool page. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm new here @ bluesmama.blogspot.com and want say hi to all the guys/gals of this board!

Anonymous said...

People, tell me please, I am now in Mexico, and my parents are in Warsaw how to help them so communicate with me not on Skype - they don't like pc much? I found just such a story, maybe someone tried a similar service, or heard of him? Tell me please whether this actually real?