Thursday, April 23, 2009

Instantiation: a representation of an idea in the form of an instance of it.




This is the bottom piece of a cupcake display rack, re-purposed, though not in any sort of necessary or important way; it just seemed like an interesting diversion. It was fine as a display rack except for the fact that I don't make cupcakes often enough to need one. Maybe at your house baked goods are around long enough to be objects requiring that kind of care and attention. At my house it's pretty much: Hey, where did all the cupcakes go?

Anyway. I took it to the shed and disassembled it (and I hope the friend who gave it to me won't mind) and wound a thick piece of wire (some kind of Christmas lawn ornament hanger I got at a yard sale) around the bolt that sticks up on the right side of the workbench (the one I saved one hot trash day back in Texas) and stuck the bottom piece on there pretty good and now it's a Kinetic Sculpture, or so I've taken to calling it. I'll title it Boingy Metal Sculpture #1 or something arty like Impromptu #1: Extemporaneous Instantiation with Smoke.

5 comments:

Pauline said...

you're way too cool. I wish you lived next door!

MB said...

OUTSTANDING! very Duchampian in it's conception and execution. I vote for the title Boingy Metal Sculpture #1: Extemporaneous Instantation With Smoke. (not that you were soliciting input but the two phrases look very good mashed together don't you think?)

shara said...

thank you pauline. I'm lucky to be blessed with many good and understanding neighbours, who don't seem to mind the piles of odd stuff here and there, or if they mind they're kind enough to just let me go on doing whatever it is I'm doing. when I begin to paint on the concrete wall in front of our house (we're on a little hill, so our front yard has a retaining wall) I don't expect they'll be a bit surprised. I'll make it something non-inflammatory. the painting on the fence in texas was a desperate cry. texas was a hard place to be, as much as I loved some aspects of it. it didn't suit me very well. but then again it was a pretty brick and concrete uptight place with not enough curves and so regimented that they had to put up signs in the park saying "natural area" so people wouldn't complain about the unmanicured bits of wildflowers and long beautiful grasses.

mark, I think you're right. of course (as befits an impromptu piece of art) it may be disassembled at any moment. but I like the blending of titles. that word boingy just appeals to me. possibly because the spellchecker doesn't like it, and keeps giving me the red squiggly line. phooey. boingy it is.

Peter Bryenton said...

I'd like to see this outside, being wind-driven.

shara said...

peter, I've been experimenting with having various things out in the wind. it's all very crude, bits and pieces of things impulsively wired or balanced or held together by tension. and they catch and channel rain. and they rust! now I just need some bells (very small, like fairy bells) and something to flutter.