Thursday, October 1, 2009

My mind's blank.


But I haven't posted anything in a while, and I'd like to get back into the habit of it. I haven't been at the computer much lately. I've been painting a lot, on the walls in the house, a bit on the shed, and I made seven dollars painting the eyes and whiskers back on a tea-kettle-cat. (I didn't do a very good job on the whiskers.)

Today at soccer practice my daughter absconded with my sketchbook and four of my pens, to go draw and giggle with her friends while her sister ran around the field. I held some loose papers on my lap and drew on that, nothing in particular, just whatever came to mind. My daughter's friends came over and oohed over my picture and my daughter proudly told them I'd begun painting their room like a jungle. One of the girls complimented me and told me I should be an artist. I thanked her and said I just happened to be an artist, which impressed her to no end.

The days are cooler and shorter and the afternoon light when it comes is even more beautiful than it was in summer, when it became oppressive and I longed for rain. Yesterday the sun shone while the rain fell and the birds sang and I enjoyed it from the house looking out at the shed and the shed looking back at the house.

I came to epiphanies about control and illusion. It was a full day. I made meals, beds, apologies, progress.

Now if I could just grit my teeth and sit down at the computer and sort out my pictures. There are just so many.

3 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Timeless image.

Pauline said...

it's always interesting to see one's self through a child's eyes

shara said...

Thanks, Peter. I love that this camera takes pictures in sepia as well as black & white, and colour. Often I switch back and forth, it feels like I see things differently all of a sudden, and have to change what the camera records to accommodate this shift of inner vision.

Pauline, it is indeed. I promised my sketching daughter I'd bring lots of paper and pens for her and her friends to use the next time my soccer daughter had practice.