Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What am I going to wear to my father's wedding?



I take it as quite a good sign that the most important question still to be answered about my upcoming trip has to do with my wardrobe. My father is getting married again, and I'm very happy for him. It'll be an adjustment, that's for certain, but I consider it another layer of love added onto his life, and not in any way a replacement of the love he had with my mother. I was immediately happy when he told me (happy for him) and then after I spoke to him I was hit with a wave of emotion, and cried, and it seemed as if it brought my mother's loss into a finer, closer focus. Or maybe made it new again, fresh hurt. But since then it's been much gentler than I thought it would be, and I'll be there for five days, seeing family I haven't seen in years, and I'll be on my own with my husband and the girls here waiting for me to come home, and I can't wear my overalls to the ceremony, so I suppose I'll have to find some kind of dress.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

it's good that you can be happy for your dad without taking anything away form your memory of your mom. enjoy your visit - fill up on love.

shara said...

Hi Pauline. Filling up on love and enjoying myself is exactly what I'm going to do. It'll be a complicated time, with the wedding, and the house on the verge of becoming someone else's (Dad is moving in with his new wife) and a bunch of Mom's stuff to go through, bigger stuff this time. It will be a very important trip, for lots of reasons.

I leave tomorrow. I'm much less flustered by this than I thought I'd be, or - more accurately - I'm much less flustered than I'd have been if this had happened a year ago, or two, or even six months ago. So I suppose I'm managing it well enough.