Wednesday, April 1, 2009

my first sculpture.


no time for the rules of punctuation today - day five of spring break and things are going well - making lots of things.

this is the top piece of a mold for a bowl, it was a pretty hefty circle. I made short work of it with the pruning saw, and enthusiastically reduced it to about a third of its original bulk.

(I believe the memory card this was on has gone bad, as pictures from it seem to be garbled - not on the computer, but once uploaded. the camera's almost exhausted, poor thing. I don't take very good care of it, despite the fact that I love it dearly. then again, I expect a fair bit from myself, and the camera has no feelings that I am aware of, so I suppose I'm not doing a terrible harm by asking it to endure all it does. I don't carry it around my neck anymore, it was making my neck ache. so most of the time now it's in my pocket, the long loop of the cord hung out to catch on things.)

in any case, I'm pleased with the sculpture, and feel I've strayed enough from the original shape to call it my own. and I believe I could easily make a plaster circle, so I don't feel so bad about wrecking this one.

it's sort of like reinventing the wheel, I suppose. but I don't mind that so much.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

so is this going to become the top to a bowl or is it complete the way it is? Love your fearlessness coupled with whimsy - can't wait to see more!

shara said...

oh it'll never be the top part of a bowl, I've destroyed it for that purpose. I think it'll probably stay as it is (the back looks different) and be attached to some kind of base. or have wire legs, rusty wire probably, wrapped around it and then maybe little pieces of carved and stained bamboo, for legs, wound in with the wire. who knows. but oh I'm having fun!