Wednesday, March 25, 2009

So what did I learn from the show at the University?



Plaster is heavy.

(Yes, I'm using capitals and everything. I even did some yoga when I was there. My body walked differently all day long and I didn't even bother changing out of my overalls; the good clothes I'd so carefully packed sat in the suitcase all day - sit there now, in fact.)

So, I'm concentrating now on taking the bulk of it out. With a pruning saw, mostly, but sometimes the glazier's knife. I treated myself at the hardware store, with a guilty, thrilled bold post-refund spree. This meant I had to ask for and give myself something, which is a difficult thing for me to do sometimes. Anyway. the saw is nice, I can hack off bits or do fine carving with it, and the blade bends some, which is handy now and then - and the glazier's knife I'm enjoying learning how to use, or misuse - but at the store the other day I saw the sweetest little serrated (double!) drywall knife and oh, the lust that sprang into my heart then.

But no one bought anything (I'd hoped, this time, but I wasn't crushed. I just wished I hadn't made such heavy things - or so many of them) and at some point I'm going to have to start making my own money. Not that my husband doesn't support my art, he most definitely does. I think it pleases his masculine pride to do so, but I think I provide a good home, and even as much as I'm battling my own inadequacies I work hard to be a good mother. So I contribute enough to say yes, for the next year - or until the changing economic circumstances make it necessary, whichever comes sooner - I will devote myself to becoming a working artist.

Though I might only consider shows of paper-related art, for the time being. Even better if I can roll it around bamboo, bind it in odd and impromptu designs with wire sure to rust, soak it, wax it, glaze it, and let it paint itself. I've done some preliminary work, models of paintings, in the shed.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

a working artist - it's what you've always been isn't it? You just haven't been reaping the benefits of cold cash. There has to be a market out there for all your beautifully expressed thoughts...

shara said...

I expect there's a market. The artist part (the making) I'm doing pretty devotedly. It's the showing/marketing that's the working part. But I've been working on that, too, slowly, the way I do most things.