Sunday, April 5, 2009

the beginning of a mural in the garage.



I've started on the garage even though I haven't finished the shed yet. the shed's about two-thirds painted inside and out, except for the roof, though I did start on one corner of that (it's brown) to make it look mossy. I've done most of the ceiling, it's sort of like sky and flowers (roses and wisteria so far) and feathers, or leaves, I have no idea. could be fish scales. I just paint and don't worry about what it is I'm painting, I just enjoy the brush, and the stretch in my neck and back when I'm looking up. oil paint stays on the brush better; when I was using the latex enamel and the cheap craft acrylic paints I ended up getting speckled here and there.

eventually, all the places I've started painting will collide, and then I'll be done, and then I'll have to find another space, a real studio maybe, or maybe not. the bathroom needs some cheering up. I think it needs a mural, or maybe just a nice soft leafy dappled sort of effect on the walls. (my husband just shakes his head. I don't understand art, he says, but I'm happy you're so happy doing it.)

4 comments:

Pauline said...

Love the tree and the writings! I'd love to wander through all the places your brush and imagination have touched.

Peter Bryenton said...

Doing what makes you happy: a priceless, precious way to spend time.

shara said...

thank you both. I must admit, I'm happiest when I'm alone, making something. but if I do enough of that I'm happy afterwards and for some time after; this increases the happiness in the house, and makes coexistence much more enjoyable.

Pauline said...

Reminds me of the quote: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."