Thursday, March 5, 2009

an experiment in plaster, paint and paper.


it didn't turn out exactly as I thought (hoped) it would. what I was wanting was to make a paper bowl.

instead, it looks (to me, at least) as if something (perhaps I might carve the something, or find it somewhere) burst out of the plaster and the paper, as if it were a cocoon or an egg.

in any case, it was an interesting experience making it, and making it kept me from bleakness and despair, or at least let me stand back from it a bit.

I still have a desire to make objects from paper, using the molds. I have visions of light beautiful things hanging. many of them, a dozen, a hundred - who knows. but they're filling a space, moving in space. holding little secrets inside. I'm not sure if this particular vision will ever come to pass. I suppose it quite easily could. it all depends on how much energy I choose to attach to the idea. and sometimes just the idea and the vision in my head is enough.

sometimes it's not. so I make something. I've given up (for the most part) trying to justify why all I seem to want to do is make things that are completely - well. maybe not completely. but mostly useless. in some cases (as with the molds) taking something useful and making it into something else, with no apparent purpose or destination in mind other than the experience of making it.

don't worry about the money, says my husband. I just want you to be happy. you're an artist. make some art. if it sells, fine, we can use the money. if it doesn't, fine. we'll manage, we are now.

at some point in your life don't you have to stop resisting who you are and be yourself? the other option is to continue to resist. I'm tired of resisting. it doesn't seem to have served me very well.

I'm working mostly in the garage these days. but at some point I know a studio will become a necessary luxury. there's no room in the budget for it at the moment, so the shed, the back porch and the garage is my studio for now.

6 comments:

Pauline said...

an urge to create, a supportive husband, a true artistic personality and three places to work at your art - what a rich life you lead!

Peter Bryenton said...

Your husband sounds like a good bloke to me.

shara said...

pauline, on ungrateful days I can't see the richness, but many days I can.

peter, he's a good bloke indeed.

shara said...

oh yes, and I meant to say, peter, I can't comment on your site, I've tried to several times. I think it must be because this mac has an old OS and so I can't upgrade to whatever browser's required to comment.

Unknown said...

"at some point in your life don't you have to stop resisting who you are and be yourself? the other option is to continue to resist. I'm tired of resisting. it doesn't seem to have served me very well."

Loved those lines, Shara. And for me, I wonder at this whole idea of resistance ... I have thought it was what I was doing and that it was wrong and then later to discover it just was not the right time and thanks to something called "resistance" ... everything in the right time. Relax into how it is. When I believe I am being resistant it does not feel so hot and when I look again... see that it could be that I am just not ready - and trust - life happens exactly on time - and I am still learning that one. What I would like to have in my little studio is less me - getting out of my way and letting the creativity happen without all my conversation around what is or how it should be. Sometimes I would love to take should and ought right out of the vocabulary! And I love your paper creations! -m

shara said...

thank you, mikaelah, where's your new playground? the paper's coming along, I got some more elmer's glue and it's going to be raining for the next five days or so; I expect it to be too damp and cool to do much in the shed besides escape to light a few candles and get some peace, so I'll be trying again to make some paper shapes from the molds, working at the kitchen counter or in the garage. (I've taken over the garage, for the most part. I painted marks on the walls and doors, like an animal marking territory, I suppose.)