Wednesday, December 31, 2008

my bold new year's resolution last year hasn't yet been accomplished, so I've decided to try again this year.


a solo show. perhaps everything I make in a year, or a month, or up until now, or about a particular theme.

no sense getting too detailed at this point of the plan.

at the moment, I'm deciding between green tea and earl grey.

but, if it comes to that, I've got shows ready to hang. this isn't a difficult thing to do, when you make things out of whatever you happen to come across, for whatever odd and solitary particular reasons.

and then there's that whole conversation to be had about what constitutes a show, exactly. or solo. I'm not a rock nor an island, however hard and isolated I feel at times. and communication brushes distance and time aside, learning takes place when the teacher or the student isn't even aware of the passing back and forth of possibility.

anyway. a to-do list, then. or a might-do, could-do list.

4 comments:

MB said...

this all sounds very sensible and productive to me. i think i might follow suit. no need to rush in to anything...

shara said...

thank you, mark, I intend to be more sensible and productive in 2009. I've also decided just this minute that I prefer the sound of new year's intentions more than new year's resolutions. I'm not entirely certain why that is, but the uncertainty isn't bothersome enough for me to waste any precious time thinking about it. as it is, I've wasted enough time thinking already today, and it's only half an hour until tomorrow. so I guess it's time to stop work.

MB said...

intention allows for more options and avenues than resolution. by definition, resolution is self limiting. I prefer possibilities...but then i'm erratic that way.

shara said...

exactly. resolution is so unyielding, an oak of a promise rather than a much more sensible and flexible bamboo. but bamboo persists despite obstacles, and doesn't break itself in the attempt to get something done. it just spreads slowly and blindly, bending when it has to and springing back up slowly when the weight lifts.