Sunday, November 30, 2008

I've decided that in 2009 I will find myself a studio.


even if that means I have to rent a storage space somewhere, or gather materials to build something closer to home. I suppose if I was digging and drilling holes in the yard and in some nice 4x4s my husband at some point would say oh no, honey, you're doing that all wrong, and maybe a new shed would appear, with no holes in the roof and no rotting plywood floor, someplace with light and space to work. because I keep bumping into things, and twice now the sleeve of my shed coat has gotten singed by candles. I don't need a fancy space to work, but safe and warm would be nice.

I love my shed, there's no question about that. and I work outside of it, as often as I can, on the bigger pieces of plywood and so on. at the moment I'm painting a bamboo screen, it's coming along nicely, it's the cut-off bottom of the bamboo blind that's in our bedroom.

so I think I need to open my own bank account, and start selling some of the things I've made and don't need anymore now that I've learned whatever I needed to learn from the making/unmaking/remaking of them, unless of course I can give them away as gifts. I much prefer that. but I've been invited to put up some art for sale next week and who knows, someone might take a shine to something I've made and the more I let things go, the more room I make for something new.

8 comments:

MB said...

well now, there's a perfectly smart idea. sell the stuff you make so you can make a space to make more stuff to sell and give away, it's a perfectly wonderful concentric circle! quite possibly a perpetual motion self-sustaining artisting machine! i'd say it's about time! life is good. hint: gift giving occasions coming up, request lumber, concrete blocks, cement, shingles...boys love to give gifts like that to girls!

shara said...

well now it's funny you should say that because (along those same lines) I asked for gravel for christmas, but my husband insisted it wasn't a christmas sort of gift. but you don't understand, I said. I adore gravel. if I got a truckload of it (it's very mucky by the shed) I would be able to work outside there more easily and when I was bored I could rake it into personally meaningful and beautifully temporary designs, and I would be so happy, and a happy wife is always a good thing. but he wouldn't budge. oh we'll get some gravel, he says, but not for christmas.

sigh.

I could have asked for diamonds instead, I suppose, but they don't thrill me at all. but gravel when it's wet, and all the colours come out? oh. now that's pretty.

Pauline said...

Oh that lovely give-get-give-get spiral. I like the gravel idea - your own grounded Zen board :)

shara said...

pauline, I have a little bit of gravel by the shed but a lot of it's sunk into the muck, it's very wet back there. we have a sluggish little creek behind the bamboo thicket or whatever a bunch of bamboo growing together is called, I'd call it a persistence of bamboo, or maybe a flexibility. hmm.

anyway. I rake it when I can, or the dirt, or the leaves, and love seeing the pattern of the rake, and when it's especially quiet and the loudest sound around is the sound of the rake scratching away, it's very soothing, and musical, like brushes on drums, jazz zen gardening.

Peter Bryenton said...

Why not stick a PayPal "Donate" button on your blog, to see if any of Santa's elves might put a few dollars into your shed fund?

NancyM65 said...

Dear Bluesmama,

First, I apologize for putting this in your blog, but I wanted to contact you and didn’t know any other way, as the email I tried to send through geocaching.com apparently didn’t get through.

A while back (Jan 2006) you reported that you stumbled across a geocache with the Travel Bug “Pedaling Ponies.”

Thank you (rather belatedly) for being so thoughtful as to log the retrieving of the Ponies.

You stated that your daughter took the ponies to Canada and would place them in a cache there.

I guess geocaching never became her thing, because the Travel Bug hasn’t been seen since.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to ask your daughter if she still has the Pedaling Ponies Travel Bug.
If she does, I can forward to her contact information for several geocachers in Saskatchewan who are willing to get it from her.
One is in Saskatoon, one in Regina, and one in “the SE corner of the province.”

Even if—in a fit of housecleaning—it was thrown away, I would appreciate knowing.

Thank you for your help.

Nancy

Donald-nancy@msn.com

shara said...

I'll have to give that some thought, peter. is it a very complicated thing to do? the studio's not a need, really, it's a want. but oh, a space of my own. no need to put everything away when it's time to make lunch, or rush out to the shed to make sure it's not left in the rain or nibbled by visitors, or scribbled on (look mama, I made your picture better!) right at the point I thought it was almost as finished as I was comfortable with.

shara said...

nancy, the travelling ponies must have decided to go on a long vacation. I've sent an email address to you, hope they find their way to a new hiding spot soon, and I'm glad you were able to find your way here to leave a message.