Friday, October 24, 2008

so every moment I possibly can, I'm working on this piece of furniture.



though it's not really furniture at the moment, it's in pieces, and I haven't even decided which of the pieces will be part of this particular thing and which will be made into something else, or even if any of these table/cabinet/shelf things I'm in the process of making will stay together once they're made. they're old and new bits and pieces, some of which I've been working on for a couple of years now, some since texas. it's for a one-day installation in a very cool place, and I still can't quite believe my good fortune.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

is it furniture yet?

shara said...

it's not quite furniture yet, though some of it was included in a few temporary altars made for a dia de los muertos event this past weekend. the cabinet (a hutch, I think, possibly to attach to the top of a table I have that is in the process of being painted & carved) is in pieces. but the pieces show signs of being interesting once they're all put together.

I'm at the point where I see too many options. and either I make the pieces able to be recombined into various things, and have the furniture evolve as it and I see fit, or I just say okay, this is the idea I want to realize, and start a more permanent form of building.

I don't know. I'm in a resting and sort of dull grey thinking stage. the november rains have started, the two art events I had going on are over (they were both very good for me, and I plan to do more) and the holidays are coming up. I feel a distinct lack of purpose at the moment. but it was nice to feel somewhat driven for awhile. I expect the feeling will come back when it wants to.