Thursday, May 29, 2008

three of the pictures the camera imprinted its own ideas onto.




now, apparently, it's all back to normal, except for the splotch on the lens, which shows up now and then (often at the most inopportune times) and has to be lived with, or hidden, either in a murky spot in the photograph, or obliterated by the light, if you hold the camera at just the right angle and the light is just right.

I suppose if I took a fabulous picture I loved, I could photoshop the blotch away. I may do that, at some point. editing. all I do with the pictures at this point is rotate them clockwise, so that they aren't sideways. I take almost everything portrait instead of the landscape the camera is built for.

though lately, I don't know why, laziness maybe, a desire not to spend any more time clicking the mouse than I must, lately I've been seeing things landscape.

and in gorgeous colours! dave's filters arrived in the mail and oh the girls and I are thrilled. my eight year old has chosen her favourite colour to view the world through (rose pink, no surprise there, she does see the world that way) and my seven year old has chosen steel blue, no. 254 or something. she's already hard at work memorizing the colour names and numbers, for no reason other than because she loves to know those sorts of things.

and my oldest daughter has colours of her own, inside. this year they start coming out. call it mother's intuition, or magic, patient observation or just optimism.

yes, I can be optimistic. I might look a long time before I leap, or leap all too impulsively. but this year I'm more sensible than selfish, or selfless. and much happier because of it. I've almost got myself sorted out. amazing how that happens, when you stop cutting off parts of yourself to squeeze into slippers that don't quite fit.

4 comments:

Canbush said...

A grand day all round then, you and the girls all colourful and Peter and I having the pleasure of meeting up with Lee and Margaret this evening. I think you will have to be next although I don't know when we'll get to Oregon as the airlines seem intent on pricing us off their planes.

I was trying to remember which combination you add together to get white when light is shone though them - I think it's 124, 132 and 164. I often think of colour in numbers, thanks to those swatches. My favourites for lighting sets are 116, 120, 126, 135, 170 and 179. I also use 142, 147 and 151 to kiss people with from behind (if that doesn't sound obscene)

Have fun!

Pauline said...

a camera with an eye all its own... how marvelous!

Loved the little slide show - it was like peeking into the shed

shara said...

I can only imagine what kind of fun it must have been, all of you meeting up, and now I'll have to go check blogs tomorrow to see if any details have been posted. we're so enjoying the filters. I took pictures yesterday with them, playing, some of them turned out interesting so I'll put them into a slide show and post it in the next few days - and now, combinations to try! your colours are very happy here on this side of the world. hope the airlines come to their senses soon but with the price of gas and all, it's not likely. still, you never know.

shara said...

and a slideshow of the shed, with all kinds of odd things that have gone on in there since I moved into it - that's next. :)