Friday, February 20, 2009

my camera's back!


it's been away for two weeks. hence the uncharacteristic exclamation point.

and I have candles. lots of jam and pickle and various other sorts of jars. so I'm going to make some tea, go light some candles, and take some pictures. and next month some of the molds will be on display in portland at an international women's day event; I got the confirmation email today.

(and last night I lay in bed and couldn't get to sleep thinking about - knowing, in advance of the act - how it would feel to cut into a piece of plaster the size of a refrigerator, how the chainsaw, or the hedge trimmer, or the pruning saw would feel in my hand. and then stain made from the rust of something or other, to glaze it, and then wax. and to polish it, silk pulled and pulled again through the cut out holes.)

but at the moment I have supper dishes to attend to. so I'd best go and do that, because if I don't get up and get moving and get it done now I won't be able to laze around in bed tonight. the magdalene sisters is tonight's movie. the last one in my netflix queue was rabbit-proof fence, it was very good. king of masks I liked as well, turned out I'd seen it before.

oh yes! ( it's a two-exclamation mark day. I might break out into initial capitals at some point.) another exciting thing. I've decided I'm going to take some classes this fall. haven't decided what yet. no sense rushing. I'm sure something interesting will present itself. the important thing is that I know I want to do it. so what it turns out to be - painting, tai chi, flower arranging, budgeting, square dancing, what does it matter. welding, carpentry, how to tile a floor, how to make chocolates.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

it doesn't matter what you choose, of course, because your enthusiasm and your knack for seeing the possibilities of things will make it fun. Where in Portland will your work be? My son goes there often and he may be interested in seeing it. I will mention it to him :)

shara said...

it sounds vain of me to say so, but I do think I can be enthusiastic and resourceful some days. I remember enjoying some of the university classes I took two decades ago (so long? I guess so) but for the most part I didn't get near as much out of it as I could have, if I'd been taking what I wanted to learn and not what I thought I should take. and how funny, me ending up making that choice and then not using the degree that followed. (though I suppose it's possible I could still teach. I have learned to tie my hair up into a loose but presentable bun, and I always did have that romantic vision of me as a schoolmarm. it's part of the nun-dream, too, I suppose, just another face of it. it's the inwardness, the inner inexhaustible well of energy, whether thought or prayer. and the outer calm. that's the appeal. not that it matters. or is even germane to the conversation. I'm hosting a sleepover tonight, and at the moment I have five children, four girls and one boy, it's a little noisy, but not in a bad way.)

the molds will be at portland state university, at the women's resource center, I think that's what it's called. I'll find out.