Thursday, December 18, 2008

so tonight I didn't tell my daughter the story of persephone.


but as she was asking once again (she loves fruit) for some pomegranate seeds, I mentioned the story, as if in passing, and she said, oh is there a story about pomegranates, how interesting.

the other day my smallest daughter passed the phone (she was talking to her oldest faraway sister) to her middle sister, saying, my sister will be speaking next. very much like an adult, in her tone, though the words made the older sister (my once only daughter) and me laugh.

I had two wire holders a friend gave me. meant to hold the lids from plastic food containers. one holds our saucepan lids and the other holds the boots upside down over the heat register, we've had a few days of snow and melting and today the girls took it into their heads to be snow cheetahs, or that's the story I got, and go barefoot in the snow. they won't do that again. I hate my feet! (screamed the younger of the bootless, sockless, silly creatures) I want them tooken off!

god help me, I laughed. but not openly until later. I expect they've learned their lesson now, and they still have all their toes. so it was a pretty full day. and now bread's been baked (not my own dough, just thawed white bread dough left to rise on the counter and bake while the grinch stole christmas again) and the house is tidy. no school again tomorrow, no school until the first week of january.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

oh those little hints of growing up (my sister will be speaking next) hidden in those moments of sheer childhood (going out in the snow barefoot)! No school here today either. The snow I longed for is on its way and they've cancelled classes before a single flake has fallen.

shara said...

we ended up having so much snow that my family was delayed for three days, holed up in one of the last hotel rooms in troutdale oregon. christmas was short, and we were largely confined to quarters, but the food was good, the company most agreeable and the snow delightful in a theoretical or practical sense, depending on who was asked. but it's raining now, has been on and off for a couple days, and the snow's all but gone. a bit of blue sky and ah! some sunshine! and school back on in a week. lots of plans for the new year.