Friday, December 5, 2008

so I've got six pieces of art made of reclaimed materials in a show & sale in a very cool little gallery.


and even though this sounds hopelessly goofy and over-dramatic (me? histrionic? never!) I must admit that the night before I took them in, I held one of them and broke helplessly into tears, and rocked it like it was a child, which of course it is.

the broken vessel saved for anything, everything, the potter's child, his joy, his burden.

so I packed them all up carefully in a painted fruit crate, along with a couple of little gifts for the bundle of energy that curates the space, and drove them into portland.

I'd been to this space once before to volunteer as a greeter for an open studio time. I joked that I did more gritting my teeth than greeting, but I'd also brought one of my daughters with me and when I'm mother I have a hard time being myself, or no, that's not it exactly. I have a hard time not being my mother-self. which is different than my shara-self or my artist-self or whatever. so between the drive that first time (I got slightly lost, had to call my husband for alternate directions once I figured out where I was exactly, and this made me anxious) and then the fact that I was feeling my way around a new place and this always gives me some moments of having to make accommodations in my brain-map for how I fit into it, and not knowing exactly what was expected of me, and being somewhat naturally shy (except when I'm naturally social) and keeping an eye on my daughter to make sure she didn't make unplanned alterations to anyone's art, well. it was a good experience, but wearying. even though the space is lovely, the people are amazing, and I was doing it whole-heartedly because I wanted to help out, it depleted me. this was because, while my heart was fully engaged, my brain was split between self and mother. and mother almost always wins. or when it doesn't, it makes for disjointed thinking/action just by diverting energy.

does any of this make sense? I suspect not. no matter.

anyway.

so this time I went alone. and got lost. and called for directions. and got lost again. and was driving, panicking, and talked myself out of that panic, telling myself (out loud) that it wouldn't do any good to panic, what I needed to do was breathe and calm down, and find a place to stop where I wouldn't get myself any more turned around, and figure out on my own where I was and how to get back across the river and find the place I needed to be.

and so I did.

and I hauled my fruit crate up a few flights of stairs and then magic happened, the pieces flew out of my arms and onto the walls and onto the white pillars or plinths (plinths was the name in my head when I saw them, however incorrect it may be, I don't know at the moment and don't feel inclined to stop now to check) that the curator brought out, and then there they were, my found and cosseted darlings, all cardboard and cheap paint and wire. and I felt free of them, and longing for them, and proud of them and then I swept the floors and straightened other people's art and helped adjust lighting and chatted and took a few pictures and hugged the curator goodbye and walked lightly and surely down the stairs, smiling, and stood by the car in the parking lot eating a crisp sweet pink lady apple and a piece of gouda cheese with my arms bare in the cool afternoon and a seagull crying overhead and then I went home, with no getting lost at all.

and made supper, and helped with homework, and sent an email saying thank you, and now here I am, the girls gone to school, my night-shift husband sleeping, breakfast dishes waiting and the sun shining on the shed, two cats lazing around, the laundry caught up and the whole day gleaming, mine to make anything that comes to visit.

5 comments:

MB said...

i read this as one day blurred into another, unusual time for me, on top of a not so great stretch of days, and it set everything right at least for the moment, enough where i can settle and try again tomorrow, or i guess later today. thank you. what a wonderful optimistic and cheery story.

MB said...

oh for goodness sakes, i changed my profile for the other project but i guess it applies to all projects, which just won't do at all...of course i guess it does allude to my multiplicity of moods and personalities...

Pauline said...

marvelous! I got swept up in all of that - your writings are as much pieces of art as your structures are! In fact, I think of you as a story unfolding, illustrated here for me to read and each time I turn the page, I think, oh - I hope this story never ends...

Peter Bryenton said...

Descriptive, detailed stream of consciousness. There's the germ of a Tarantino movie storyboard hiding deep in there somewhere.

Please do show us the photos of the exhibition space, with your work on its walls.

shara said...

mark, it's hard keeping track of all the computer-related bits of identity. it was a very good day, the show didn't yield any gain for the gallery or for my studio fund but it was pretty cool to see the boxes and mobile and paintings as separate, and I had to go through the whole getting lost/unlost thing, and I'm probably much less likely to get lost that way again (though I'm not ruling out the possibility, I get distracted by songs or sunny days or the way the whole sky gets briefly reflected - and of course it's not even the whole sky, but it seems that way - in the back of a car window and I miss exits and so on, and then drive on, wondering how I'm going to get three highways back now that I've made two panicked exit choices, but that's another topic, really, we could go on about that at great length. so I learned a lot from the experience, and most of it was fun.

pardon the rambling. it's been a long day after a busy couple of days and a very short night, and I'm almost squinting at this incredibly tiny type. it's like I got older in seconds, it hits sometimes like that. but other times today I was sharp as a bell, the thin ones, like ice cracking. I wrote a book: morality for the hell of it, or, why free thinkers (and I qualify that in the longwinded series of sub and subsub titles) are good neighbours.

pauline, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the compliment, thank you. sometimes I dream about telling stories on stage. I think I'd have to sit, though, I get stiff and nervous standing. it's because I'm very shy when I'm not being brash.

peter, thank you. if it surfaces maybe some ambitious film-maker can do something with it. I just have decided to write and see what happens and not worry so much. this is, of course, only on the occasions upon which I'm not in a state of some sort of angst. I like that word, angst. I think I use it too much. but I'm fond of it.

in photographic news I've almost gotten the alphabet series of pictures I promised to send to you a long time ago. I'll put up a video of the project thus far in the next post. it's coming along. I've taken better ones since but I've resolved not to unload this card except to print actual hold in my hand pictures, because everything I've taken in the last decade has been digital and some of it's been lost and I have old black and white pictures of family from russia some generations back that I can puzzle over, but what would my girls or grandchildren have in years to come to try and figure out this particular point at this particular time in their history if all they have is pictures no more substantial than bytes of possibly irretrievable or destroyed and incomprehensible data? it's a sobering thought for someone who feels impelled to record, for whatever reason.