Friday, December 12, 2008

and another. (prototype, I mean.)


I figure seeing as how I bought the thing, and used it until it was no longer functioning the way it was intended to

(though I could have managed the low-tech way we've been making coffee, my husband wanted a new coffeemaker, and I must admit that though he got one too tall to fit under the cupboard and I had to move it to another counter, it's a nice machine, very slick but easy to use and pretty, as coffeemakers go.)

and of course it'll never decompose, or at least not in my lifetime

(how long does it take metal and plastic to do that? does it ever? it must. I mean, metal will rust, and maybe the plastic will get brittle and break and turn into powder but seriously, that's got to take some time.)

it behooves me.


(I think. I'm not clear on behooving.)

it behooves me to make something out of it and what better thing to do than use the filter basket as a basket

(with some modifications, sandpaper, paint, wire or at least that's what came to mind, I haven't started it yet, might never, but I'm pretty sure I will)

and the rest of it

(for the time being. it's got parts. I love things with parts. and I have one of those little starry screwdrivers. I'm curious to see what's inside the machine.)

will become a shrine to coffee, which someone in some little coffeeshop might fall in love with. maybe I'll get free coffee out of the deal. anything's possible, in theory, even impossibility, I suppose.

just a cameraphone picture for now. the carafe part of the coffemaker is gone, I didn't act quickly enough to save it, which is a shame. I would have liked to fill it with various things and take pictures of it. oh well. so there's just a little clay bowl and candle sitting on the hotplate, a very simple sort of shrine. and the basket's still attached, that'll change, and free up some space. there are holes, of course, where the hot water used to drip through. I expect wire will go there, with something or some things hung on it. melted pieces of plastic, possibly.

dave, I hope you don't mind, but I've melted some of the light filter samples. they're quite pretty. something in between butterflies and autumn leaves. pictures of those to come at some point.

3 comments:

Pauline said...

following your thought process is as intriguing as seeing what you create

*the verification word is "pinglys" - sounds like a sniglet for the coffee shrine...

shara said...

you're a brave woman indeed, to follow that sort of breathless and nonsensical road. (but thanks. it's good not to go alone, even when there's no one around. you know what I mean.) I love pinglys! and sniglet. what's a sniglet? I've heard - no. never heard. but read the word. a bit of something?

the coffee shrine, I took some pictures tonight with my cameraphone and emailed them to myself from the shed, my next door neighbours took the girls to a play at their church, they're a beautiful family, the ones who had the baby last year. he's doing well, walking a few steps, bright as can be. talking a bit, mama, dada. though they swore his first word was festival, because of the harvest festival we all went to in october.

Pauline said...

a sniglet is comedian Rich Hall's made up word for his collection of made up words. They were very popular in the early 70s, my favorite being: "Carperpetuation (kar-pur-pet-you-ay-shun) n. The act, when vacuuming, of running over a string or a piece of lint at least a dozen times, reaching over and picking it up, examining it, then putting it back down to give the vacuum one more chance."

a pingly could be the gurgly sound a coffee maker makes...