Thursday, November 6, 2008

so tonight we had the sex talk, or this bit of it anyway.



but this was the big one, with the mechanics of coition and reproduction tastefully and briefly described. apparently a helpful friend who's one grade ahead and oh so worldly decided to share some misinformation.

I handled it well, it was really no big deal. we've already talked openly about death, and profound doubts about divine plans and so on.

anyway. it's been an exhausting day, what with driving into the big city in the rain and missing an exit on the way home because of fuzzy thinking and the resulting 15 minute detour while I tried to figure out how to turn around and get going in the right direction. and then homework, supper, laundry, bathtime, more homework, cuddling, dishes and oh finally, lights out, and the dishes and clothes drying, the girls and cats sleeping, my husband at work and the house briefly still.

4 comments:

Pauline said...

what a spectacular photo! and how appropriate to the post;)

I remember my sister (a nurse) sending a book when my boys reached the age for "the talk" (though we'd actually had the talk in stages long before). There was a statement in the first pages that caused the boys to hoot loudly - teenage boys have a sexual thought every five seconds -

"Every five?" The boys looked at each other and then at me. "Every two is more like it." and they disappeared upstairs with the book.

shara said...

thank you pauline, it's actually a tealight in smucker's jam jar, a long exposure time and some jiggling of the camera. this is one of the ways I amuse myself late at night in the shed. I love candles, sometimes I have so many going just their heat keeps the shed warm. and it's kind of cool in there lately; I took the doors off a few months ago and have been painting and scratching paint off of them, and last week they were part of the dia de los muertos thing, like backdrops. so my shed doors have been on a trip to portland and it's only a matter of time before the whole shed (which could use a new roof and floor anyway) is disassembled and reassembled in some odd configuration somewhere. I'm sure that will happen in 2009.

the girls were quite interested in the discussion of the sex act, though their first reaction was a simultaneous "ewww...!" later that night, my eight year old turned to me while we were cuddling after quiet reading time and said "so mama. when did you and daddy, you know. the sex." which cracked me up. my mother's talk with me about the subject was pretty much a terse "don't do it" but I'm afraid I succumbed to temptation despite the warning.

Pauline said...

that made me chuckle. Added to a similar warning from my mother was "... and remember, God is watching," which made me even more furtive. The first time my six year old asked about the particulars I heard him later explaining to his siblings, "...and so Mommy and Daddy did that 4 times." They were suitable impressed.

Grackle Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.