Wednesday, April 23, 2008

on a chair, on a whim, in the shed.



this is a question I often ask myself:

what is one thing that you believe to be true, insofar as anything can be either true or known?

the answer varies, according to the wind and whatever face the moon happens to be showing. I'm usually not troubled by that sort of uncertainty.

and even if I was, I don't imagine it would matter much. the world doesn't order itself according to my whims and fancies.

(or does it? sigh. another question.)

2 comments:

Pauline said...

"the world doesn't order itself according to my whims and fancies. (or does it? sigh. another question.)"

YOUR world does! I always liked the dialogue between Richard Bach and Donald Shimoda in Bach's "Illusions" where Donald says, "Are you telling me that...four billion people do not live in four billion separate worlds...?"

There's more to the quote but that part always stuck with me. I so agree on a visceral level with the notion that we all live in worlds of our own making. Knowing that allows me to be far less judgmental.

Peter Bryenton said...

Your words and pictures have frequently offered me fascinating glimpses into your world, thank you.